Read about how we practiced zentangles and took a selfie here.
The coffee filters are much thinner than the color diffusing circles, so students didn't have as much trouble tracing the portraits I printed for them. After tracing the face and coloring the black areas, students zentangled around the edges. We discussed ideas for how to use imagery that would showcase their identity in the portrait. Remind them not to write on the back, as that will show through to the front and mess up all their hard work.
While tracing and zentangling, I called students, a few at a time to a painting station. I set up the paint trays with hot colors in two pallets and cool colors (both also had black and white) in two pallets. Students painted an abstract 'frame' design on a piece of black paper so that the portrait.
After zentangling the background of the portrait, students used washable markers to color their portraits. We talked about color mixing and color theory.
Some needed a little more time to finish coloring with the washable markers. Then, we squirted the portraits with water sprayers so that the ink of the markers would spread out and 'diffuse'. I had the students put their coffee filter on a 'cover' sheet so that it could go into the drying wrack without ripping and falling apart. I had them actually color two coffee filers---one was colored with random colors.
The process did not take the whole art time so I demonstrated how to fold a coffee filter like a snowflake and cut it around the edges to turn it into a flower. Some students went home and made more! I explained that the second filter they had colored would be used to make a flower pencil topper next time.
Students colored with oil pastels on the frame to add a little more detail and texture, and then glued their portrait to the frame----I reminded them to make sure that they put glue only around the edges of the coffee filter, as some had squirted glue all over the face and it looked a little messed up, which you might notice in some of the examples.
Once they had glued their filter to the frame, we made those flower pencil toppers.
The project turned out very colorful and beautiful.